Eating cake every day isn't for me. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I prefer savory food. But this cake is so delicious and not too sweet.
This cake is buttery, moist, soft, delicious and eye-catching with its pretty chocolate vanilla swirls. Perfect for anytime of the day. It's a great recipe to try. My husband loves it too! :)
Feel free experimenting! You can swap the plain flour for almond flour or coconut flour. I am going to use almond flour next time.
The cake will last in an airtight container for 3 days!
240g plain flour
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla paste
Zest of 1 large orange
Cocoa paste (3 tbsp cocoa powder mix in with 2 tbsp milk)
1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter.
- Whisk butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs (one at a time) and mix until well combine. Now mix in the orange zest. (If your batter mixture is start to curdle, add 1 - 2 tbsp of flour.)
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, fold the mixture carefully. Don't over mix the batter. Now fold in the milk.
- Put 1/3 of the vanilla batter into the loaf pan and spread it evenly along the bottom. Then 1/3 of the chocolate batter on top of the vanilla batter and spread it evenly. Repeat the same until all the batter is used.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave it to cool on a wire rack before slicing.