Updated: Jul 5, 2019
Celery is a great source of important antioxidants. Also, celery can reduces inflammation and supports digestion. It is rich in vitamins and minerals with a low glycemic index. Celery is also low in calories.
Celery don't store well, consume celery leaves within a day or two of purchase. You can eat it raw or cooked , and it makes a great addition to smoothies, stir-fries, soups, and juices.
Celery and Beef Stir-Fry
This dish is very popular in China. Also, it's one of my flavour dish. Here is my mum's version of celery and beef stir-fry.
400g beef skirt (or steak), thinly sliced
5 sticks celery, thick sliced (1cm thick)
1 medium size carrot, cut into matchsticks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 pieces ginger, thinly sliced
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup of water
For the marinade
11/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry)
Pinch of pepper
- Marinade beef for 20-30 mins.
- Prepare all the other ingredients.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok or frying pan until smoking, then add the marinated beef and fry over high heat for half minute. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium, add the remaining oil in the same wok or frying pan. Stir in garlic and ginger, and fry for 1 minute, until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic and ginger.
- Add the carrot and celery and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the beef back to the wok, add the oyster sauce and water. Quick stir and cook for another half minute.
- Serve immediately. Prefect with just a bowl of steamed white rice.Enjoy!