Japanese Tofu and Potato Curry
If you have never try Japanese curry before, then you must try below recipe.
Japanese curry is much different than other curries, it generally thicker, creamier and sweeter, which makes this dish kid-friendly. Also, Japanese curry is one of the nation's most popular convenience and comfort foods.This homemade curry will cure all your takeaway cravings. I love it!
This curry starts by frying some tofu pieces until golden, set a side. Then fry some garlic, ginger and onion until soften. Add potato pieces and water, bring to boil, then simmer until the potato pieces soften. Follow by curry roux, stir, cook until the sauce is thicken. Then the tofu pieces. Serve with some hot steamed rice. Enjoy...
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Inch of ginger, finely chopped
250g firm tofu, cut to bite size cubes
1/2 cup plain flour or corn flour
some cooking oil
1 medium potato, cut to bite size cubes
11/2 cup water
1 Japanese curry block (I use S&B brand. You can get it from any Asian supermarkets or online stores, see below links)
Spring onion for garnish (option)
- First, cut the tofu to bite size pieces, dry the tofu pieces by using some kitchen paper or clean tea towel. Mix the flour, salt, pepper. Roll each tofu pieces in the flour mixture until well coated.
- In a frying pan, heat enough oil to cover the base of your pan. Shallow fry the tofu pieces for around 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Then transfer them on some kitchen paper to drain off the excess oil.
- Stir-fry the garlic, ginger and onion until soften. Add in the potato pieces and water. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then gentle simmer until potato pieces are tender and easily be pierced with a fork.
- Now add the curry block, stir well, and simmer until broth has thickened. Add in the tofu pieces and mix well. Be careful not to break the tofu too much. Sprinkle some spring onion for garnish if you use.
- Serve with cooked rice. Enjoy!
If you don't like tofu, you can use any vegetables in your fridge. Carrot, bell pepper, mushroom, bean and peas etc.
S&B Japanese Curry Block