Kimchi Pancake is one of Koreans' all time favorite dishes. Certainly is my favorite! It is very easy and quick to make on a busy day. As long as you have Kimchi in your fridge!
You just need a few more basic ingredients. Egg, flour, and vegetables (spring onion, onion etc.) Meat is commonly added to the mixture. Pork belly, bacon or seafood etc. I added some bacon and cheese to my latest kimchi pancake. Do check out my Instagram for this one. Haha... It was tasty!
By the way, you can use vegan kimchi for vegan or vegetarian version. Same recipe, but no egg.
Also, I do run a kimchi making class if you want to join. Contact me for more info. :)
Make 2 large pancakes
1 cup thinly sliced kimchi
1/4 small onion, thinly sliced
2 spring onion, cut to small strips
2-3 tbsp kimchi juice
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp gochujiang paste *
1 small egg, lightly beaten
1 cup water
Toasted sesame seeds
- Add the gochujiang in a large bowl with a couple of water, stir until the paste dissolved.
- Add in the kimchi, spring onion, onion, meat (if use), and egg. Mix well.
- Add in the flour and rest of the water, stir until no dry flour. But don't over mix! Add a bit more water if the batter is too thick. The batter should flow easily from a spoon.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Ladle the batter into the pan, and spread it evenly into a thin round disc. Cook until the edges turn light golden brown. Turn it over, lightly press the pancake down with a spatula. Cook until the pancake is lightly crispy.
- Repeat the process.
- Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds, sriracha sauce and mayo. Enjoy when it hot!
* Gochujiang - here is another recipe to show you how to use this paste. Click here to check it out!