Tomato and egg stir-fry
Updated: Feb 13, 2020
This is a very common dish in China. It is very quick, easy but really not that simple to make the perfect version. :D
It takes only 10 minutes to cook this dish. It gives you layers of flavours - sweet, sour, savory and garlicky. Also, the key step of tender egg is to get it well beaten until the mixture has just one consistency. It should appear a small layer of fine bubbles. The air inside the egg mixture can help to make them fluffy and tender.
This is the ultimate Asian comfort food. Give this healthy dish a try!
3 large eggs
3 large tomatoes ( choose mature enough tomatoes)
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp water
1 tsp shaoxing cooking wine or dry sherry (optional)
pinch white pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
spring onion for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, water salt and white pepper until it well beaten.
- Cut tomatoes into small chunks.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok on high heat. Pour in egg mixture. Wait for seconds until you can see the edge is cooked, push to one side to let uncooked part touch the bottom of the wok. Then break the egg into small pieces. Take the egg out as soon as there is no more liquid (do not overcook, timing is very important). The same way of cooking scramble eggs.
- Reheat the pan over high heat with 1 tbsp oil. Add garlic and stir for a few second then add tomato pieces. Cook it until is a little mushy or the juices have begun to form a sauce. If the tomatoes are juicy enough, just add a couple tablespoon of water.
- Reduce the heat to medium, now add eggs and give everything a quick stir. Add salt, sugar and shaoxing cooking wine to taste. (Add 1 tsp of ketchup if you like the intense tomato flavour. ) Top with some spring onion. Serve immediately.
*This dish is perfect serve with a bowl of hot steamed rice.